The big yellow farm at the intersection of the Jackson Pond and River Roads in Concord is a well-known landmark with a rich history. Walter Hughes was the proprietor there for many years, raising cows and other livestock, running a dairy operation, and haying extensively on his large tracts of rich Kennebec intervale land. John … Continue reading Walter Hughes – Concord’s Yellow Farm
In the early 1830’s, the family of Warren and Elizabeth Bates left the town of Whitefield for a new home in Concord, where brother Rev. David Bates also settled along the Jackson Pond Road. They had eight children, several of whom were born in Concord. They moved on to Waldoboro by 1840, and afterward to … Continue reading Concord’s Calvin Bates, 20th Maine
Is your ancestor on this list of men who worked to build the Old Canada Road in 1819?
James Leon Williams was born in 1852 in the farmhouse across the road from where he built his magnificent summer residence Concord Haven, on the banks of the Kennebec. Ernest Walker, in Embden, Town of Yore, wrote that at Leon's birth, the farm belonged to Leon's maternal grandfather, Ralph Wells. Leon was the eldest of … Continue reading Dr. J. Leon Williams and Concord Haven
Most histories of Rowe Pond Camps start with owners Witham and Maxfield, who ran the camps in the early 1900's. This article presents evidence of earlier owners of camps and equipment at the site in 1895, and their connection to Witham and Maxfield. On October 21, 1895 Albion Healy of Pleasant Ridge bought a half … Continue reading Remick and Healy’s Rowe Pond Camps
In the winter and spring of 1825, there was a quiet tussle over the ownership of the big island in the Kennebec River, located between Bingham and Concord. Col. John Black, agent for the Trustees of the Estate of William Bingham, traveled there to try to close a sale with three settlers who had been … Continue reading Gov. William King’s Claim to Bingham’s Big Island