The big yellow farm at the intersection of the Jackson Pond and River Roads in Concord is a well-known landmark with a rich history. Walter Hughes was the proprietor there for many years, raising cows and other livestock, running a dairy operation, and haying extensively on his large tracts of rich Kennebec intervale land. John … Continue reading Walter Hughes – Concord’s Yellow Farm
A few histories of the Moosehead region mention Deacon Enoch Ford as the first permanent settler at Roach River, also called Kokadjo.* He went to Roach River as a logger by at least 1841, traveling up from his home in the town of Mayfield. Enoch was born in Jefferson (Balltown), Maine about 1801, a son … Continue reading Moosehead’s Deacon Ford: Mayfield to Kokadjo
Is your ancestor on this list of men who worked to build the Old Canada Road in 1819?
James Leon Williams was born in 1852 in the farmhouse across the road from where he built his magnificent summer residence Concord Haven, on the banks of the Kennebec. Ernest Walker, in Embden, Town of Yore, wrote that at Leon's birth, the farm belonged to Leon's maternal grandfather, Ralph Wells. Leon was the eldest of … Continue reading Dr. J. Leon Williams and Concord Haven
The 1860 Chace map of Moscow, Maine shows the location of Dresser Hill, which was better known, earlier and later, as Chamberlain Hill. The names come from families who settled there in Moscow's early days. Moses Chamberlain and his sons settled around 1820. The Dresser family came and went quickly during the 1830's and 1840's, … Continue reading Moscow’s Chamberlain / Dresser Hill
Most histories of Rowe Pond Camps start with owners Witham and Maxfield, who ran the camps in the early 1900's. This article presents evidence of earlier owners of camps and equipment at the site in 1895, and their connection to Witham and Maxfield. On October 21, 1895 Albion Healy of Pleasant Ridge bought a half … Continue reading Remick and Healy’s Rowe Pond Camps
Levi Andrews, Jr. and his wife Achsah (Andrews) settled in Pleasant Ridge, Maine soon after their marriage in Essex, Massachusetts in 1822. They were quickly surrounded by other Andrews family members—so many that the place was called "Andrews Plantation" in the 1830 census. We are fortunate to have an original letter sent to Levi and … Continue reading 1830 Letter to Andrews Family, from Essex MA to Pleasant Ridge ME
In the winter and spring of 1825, there was a quiet tussle over the ownership of the big island in the Kennebec River, located between Bingham and Concord. Col. John Black, agent for the Trustees of the Estate of William Bingham, traveled there to try to close a sale with three settlers who had been … Continue reading Gov. William King’s Claim to Bingham’s Big Island