On May 1, 1933, Bingham and Moscow lost a favorite son in a tragic accident at the foot of Wyman Dam. Beloved local photographer Milford Baker was fishing with friends Vernard (Bunny) Pierce, Harry LaPointe, and Phillip Collette at the salmon pool below the dam, when their rowboat was caught in a whirlpool and dragged … Continue reading The Tragic Death of Milford Baker
Is your ancestor on this list of men who worked to build the Old Canada Road in 1819?
Lumbering was a tough and dangerous business in 1867. Uriah Foss, born in Brighton, Maine in 1847, died about one year after this article was printed in the Independent-Reporter newspaper on May 24, 1928. It tells of a lumbering team's harrowing steamboat ride across Moosehead just as the winter ice was taking over.
Most histories of Rowe Pond Camps start with owners Witham and Maxfield, who ran the camps in the early 1900's. This article presents evidence of earlier owners of camps and equipment at the site in 1895, and their connection to Witham and Maxfield. On October 21, 1895 Albion Healy of Pleasant Ridge bought a half … Continue reading Remick and Healy’s Rowe Pond Camps
Levi Andrews, Jr. and his wife Achsah (Andrews) settled in Pleasant Ridge, Maine soon after their marriage in Essex, Massachusetts in 1822. They were quickly surrounded by other Andrews family members—so many that the place was called "Andrews Plantation" in the 1830 census. We are fortunate to have an original letter sent to Levi and … Continue reading 1830 Letter to Andrews Family, from Essex MA to Pleasant Ridge ME
Two key figures in 19th century logging on the Upper Kennebec were Ira Daggett Sturgis (1814-1891) and Josiah Manchester Haynes (1839-1906). They had close ties to each other, and to three men who preceded them in the region—Joseph Southwick (1791-1866), and the Sturgis twins (b. 1806). The Sturgis legacy in the Upper Kennebec actually began … Continue reading Sturgis, Southwick, and Haynes – Kennebec County Men Come Up-River
There was a hotel in West Forks, located along the Canada Road about five miles above the Forks bridge, for over sixty-five years. The hotel buildings burned in 1925. The lot on which they stood was first settled by Seth Wyman Steward and his wife Eliza. She was the daughter of early settlers at West … Continue reading West Forks Hotel – Turtle, Smith, Murphy, Patience, Pierce, Berry, Comber
Hidden in the woods south of Rowe Pond are the remaining stone structures that were part of a grist mill on Mill Stream. The site has captured the interest of many local historians. Among them are George Pratt, Glenn Wing, Robert Hunnewell, Allen Later, Lester Atwood, and Don Nodine, all of whom have visited the … Continue reading Andrews 1828 Grist Mill – Pleasant Ridge
[Continued from previous post] The Chace map of 1860 shows three households in the northeast corner of Carrying Place Township that were part of "Bowtown." There was also a household to the north, where Thomas Brown lived, which was part of this neighborhood. Nathaniel Pierce, Aaron Sanborn, and Edward Collins were occupants of the Carrying … Continue reading Bowtown – Pierce, Sanborn, and Collins – Laweryson, Morris, Meservey, and Bragg
[Continued from the previous article] There were a few homes in the northeast corner of Carrying Place Township that were part of what was known as the "Bowtown" neighborhood. The homes were eventually built on lots #17, #18, and #24A, as drawn on the Coburn survey of Carrying Place (T1R3WKR) in 1820. Two of those … Continue reading Samuel Fling’s “Bowtown” Lots